APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2004-05 > 1085532115

From: Carolyn Ybarra <>
Subject: Professionalism Re: APG-D Digest V04 #135
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:41:55 -0700

I think the certification and accreditation processes we have in
place with existing organizations are great, very rigorous (BCG,
ICapGen...). Training available at Samford and RIGS alliance and
NIGR looks incredible, and I've heard good things about them from
those of you who have taken those courses. Resource books now
available are plentiful, if painful on the pocketbook! (I
particularly like it that Pro. Gen. can double as a door stop -
though regretfully cannot be read in bed without endangering one's
life. ;-) ) And of course there are a couple of genealogy degree
programs in the country. Then we have great national and local
conferences, partly so good because of the professional efforts of
the Genealogical Speakers' Guild. (I just came back from the NGS,
and can honestly say I've never been to a conference that had better
speakers - and I've been to many academic and non-academic
conferences.)

Admittedly, it's a mixed soup of training. Okay, perhaps it would be
nice if we all got together and decided on one particular process to
create the perfect "professional." But, doesn't the mixed soup
interestingly reflect our country (and beyond), it's history and
diversity? Perhaps it takes a mixed soup of training to understand
our mixed soup of family history.

Carolyn
--
Carolyn Ybarra, Ph.D.