APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-03 > 1110912916

From: "Mills" <>
Subject: RE: [APG] Re: Kissing Cousins
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:56:16 -0600

=Jean asked:
>What is the relationship of two people whose mother's are half-sisters
>(same father -- different mother). Are they first cousins or first
>half-cousins?

Bob wrote:
<They are first cousins.
<Despite the common misconception, a "cousin" requires descent from only one

common ancestor. There is therefore no such thing as a "half cousin." >

Gee, this is news to me! "Cousin," used generically, could be various
relationships; but everything I have studied on the subject contends that
"first cousin" has always been a precise degree of kinship (genetically and
in traditional church calculations) --with qualifiers such as "first cousin
once-removed" and "half-first cousins" to identify relationships that do not
carry the full complement of genetic kinship one would get if the cousin's
mother were a full sibling rather than half-sibling of one's own mother.

I checked this just now against a few genetic sites on line. Some of those
that define half-first cousin are

http://fisher.utstat.toronto.edu/sun/Software/Prest/Changelog
http://info.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/plomdevelop/genetics/99maygen.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=1894549&dopt=Abstract
http://arts.uwaterloo.ca/CLASS/labyrinth/issue79/79ager.html
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~getz/205Fall04.html
http://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/OMIMfind/git/OMIM-142623.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=OMIM&dopt=Deta
iled&tmpl=dispomimTemplate&list_uids=254780
http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/bib/ibd/blangero98.pdf

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
*Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian*
*Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers,
Editors, Lecturers & Librarians*
*Isle of Canes* <www.isleofcanes.com>
& other works on family and ethnic history

This thread: