APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-04 > 1112553493

From: "Trevia W Beverly" <>
Subject: ISAAC FRANKLIN, SLAVE TRADER OF THE OLD SOUTH....
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:46:09 -0500

A few days ago - April 28 - on the APG list, Alvie Davidson mentioned his
"Index to Isaac Franklin, Slave Trader of the Old South," in answer to May
Douglass' "call for papers" for The Association for African American
Historical Research and
Preservation (AAAHRP) for the AAAHRP's Third Annual Conference scheduled
for February 4, 2006 in Seattle, Washington.
He asked if Mary were familiar with the book. And while I do limited
African-American research and an occasional lecture on the subject, I had
never heard of it.
Even without a copy of "Isaac Franklin, Slave Trader and Planter of the
Old South," by Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Louisiana State University Press,
1938), the "Index to .." will be extremely useful to both blacks and whites.

Davidson, Alvie L. & Dianne. Index to Isaac Franklin, Slave Trader and
Planter of the Old South (Lakeland FL, 1991) <<
http://www.floridadetective.net >>
Click on books for sale on the left; $23 post paid to PO Box 509, Kathleen
FL 33849. Stephenson's original book was published by Louisiana State
University, and concerned the estate of Isaac Franklin who had major
plantation holdings throughout the South -- mostly in Texas, Tennessee, and
Louisiana. As the Davidsons state in their "Introduction" to the Index, the
major shot fall of the original book was that there was not a complete
index - while the original book did index the Caucasian names, all slave
names were omitted. Now the Davidsons have corrected that with their "Index
to..." which contains over 3700 names!
Most of the 3700 have surnames, but those who appear to be slaves and
did not have a listed surnames have been listed with a created name of
"SLAVE," as were the person's children yet to have a surname. Females with a
last name who had children listed with her, the were given the same surname
as the mother.

Not one to let my curiosity linger long on the vine, I just felt compelled
to let my friend "Goggle" do some searching for me. Here are several of the
more interesting sites I came up with, and indeed, have printed out for
further study.

The Forks of the Road Slave Market at Natchez
<< http://mshistory.k12.ms.us/index.html >>
<< http://mshistory.k12.ms.us/features/feature36/forks_of_the_road.html >>

The Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture
<< http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/catsearch.htm >>

Natchez in the Center of Slavery
<< http://www.coax.net/people/lwf/natchez.htm >>

Alexandria [VA] Library - Special Collections
<<
http://www.alexandria.lib.va.us/lhsc_online_exhibits/doc/archived/apr_2004/doc.html

* and be sure to visit their Home Page for all their online Collections!

The Davidson's "INDEX to .." should be a part of every library with a well
rounded genealogical collection. It is indispensable for all
African-American genealogical groups. I note that we have the INDEX at
Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research here in Houston (must be
used in the library; no interlibrary loan). Alas! Stephenson's original book
is nowhere to be found in the Houston Public Library system. - neither at
Fondren Library, Rice University. However, in Houston we do have at least
two copies: the M.D. Anderson Library at the University of Houston. Both
must be used in the library, so a copy of Alvie Davidson's INDEX will be
needed.
This tells me you may find it hard to come by a copy of the Stephenson
book - check the online catalogs of nearby libraries and when found, be sure
they are aware of the Davidson's INDEX --- better yet! Purchase one yourself
and donate it to the library.
Neither Black nor descended from known slave holders, still Alvie has so
excited me about this 'find' that I can hardly wait to visit UH to see the
book itself!
Trevia Wooster Beverly
Houston, Harris County, Texas

This thread: