APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-04 > 1114905370

From: "Chad Milliner" <>
Subject: A couple of further observations
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:56:10 -0700

I have found an easier way to find a particular page. Type the page number you want into the search box. All of the hypertext links below the search box will then get completely expanded, and the link for the page you want will be shown in RED. This is also how hits from the search box are displayed ... the page(s) containing the hit are shown in red. But until the OCRing gets better, I would use the search function ONLY for locating page numbers faster.

It is possible to download complete books to your hard drive. At the bottom of the left-hand column (the column that is headed by the search box) is a section of hypertext links labeled "Printing Version". The scanned images of History of Trumbull and Mahoning counties is broken up into eight files of about 25 MBs each. Download the eight files and you have downloaded the book.

I now realize that BYU did not scan the actual book that is on the FHL shelves. Instead, they scanned the microfilm copy of the book. This probably accounts for why the scanned images have such poor contrast -- probably the microfilm camera did not create an optimal master negative. Obviously, they did this because the process of scanning microfilm is pretty much automated, whereas scanning books requires a human to turn the pages. I have heard of machines that can scan books and automatically turn the pages, but I understand they do not yet work very well.

This thread: