APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-05 > 1117072711

From: Connie Sheets <>
Subject: Occupations, Early 1800s
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

After 25 years of searching mostly for farmers, I now find myself interested in an individual who was a poor hatter ca. 1807-1825 in western PA, and another who was a fairly well-off and educated weaver. I'd like to find out more about what their everyday work lives might have been like.

I know local histories often contain relevant information, and I can Google some promising sites on, say, hat history. The estate inventories of the hatter's son, who died in 1839 in Ohio and obviously followed his father's trade, and that of the weaver who died in 1821 are quite illuminating.

Are there other resources anyone can recommend? I'm interested not only in hatting and weaving specifically, but in sources that would treat early 1800s occupations more generally.

Connie Sheets
Flagstaff, AZ

This thread: