APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-08 > 1123257001

From: "Helen S. Ullmann" <>
Subject: Literature search for CG application
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:50:01 -0400

Dear Kathleen,

A literature search is always appropriate. It should be one of your
first steps, and you would be remiss if you didn't!. If you find a
published, well-documented genealogy, no, it wouldn't be appropriate to
use that as a basis for your compiled genealogy for the CG or lineage
study for the CLS. But, as you say, most older genealogies are not
documented. (Unfortunately, many being published today are not either. I
picked one up at NEHGS the other day that looked promising, but then
there was no documentation and there wasn't even an index! I put it back
on the shelf.)

Of course, if the older undocumented genealogy still laid out the whole
family for you accurately, it wouldn't be appropriate to use. But in
most cases these will only apply to part of your family and will
probably have a few errors too. You can surely add a great deal of
additional, well-documented information. But when you cite things like
that, it would be a good idea to make an statement evaluating the book
in your first footnote. See p. 21 of Elizabeth Mills's EVIDENCE!

By the way, don't forget to look for published work on the families of
the spouses of the children! There's an excellent chance you'll find
some good material. Yes, that's work, but I think it was Noel Coward who
said, "Work is more fun than fun."

Helen Ullmann

This thread: