APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-08 > 1125270339

From: Michael Neill <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Introduction and need help with a sticky situation
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:05:39 -0500

All good suggestions.

Having recently located a long lost branch of my family, I too was
somewhat apprehensive about making contact (in my case I called, but a
letter is an excellent idea) with the granddaughter of my
great-grandmother's half sister.

In this case, I reviewed information about that half-sister, her
sisters and her parents so that I could provide this information to
the relative (I didn't want her thinking I was trying to pull a con).
Providing these names and details helped to convince her who I was (it
also helped that I was readily familiar with the geography of where
all these people lived).

I wrote up an article about my experience and it is posted at:
http://www.rootdig.com/adn/cold_calling.html

I won't repost the whole thing here. Some suggestions are more
appropriate for phone contact, but some also apply to letters as well.

Good luck.
Michael

--
Michael John Neill
October 2005 Genealogy Workshops Dearborn, Michigan

This thread: