APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-10 > 1130356832

From: "Ken Aitken" <>
Subject: RE: [APG] Program/lecture evaluations
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:00:32 -0600

Thanks to Elissa, and others who commented to me privately, for your
comments.

As I tweek the evaluation form I am amazed that the number of questions
that tell me "what a good presenter you are!" outnumber the ones that start
to pinpoint areas that I can build on. Its not just because of my 25 years
experience lecturing and teaching, but a product of questions that do not
really inform me on what was happening in the learning experience.
I am going to keep the questions that ask, for example
"What did you like most about this presentation?"
"What did you like least about this presentation?"

as these two open ended questions got some important feedback, and produced
some quotes I can use in promoting my services as a genealogy educator.

But I expect to drop some likethese questions that have ratings on a 1-5
level.
How extensive was the presenter's knowledge of the subject matter?
How would you rate the facility where the presentation was given?
because I can determine these myself.

There are other questions that I need to rewrite. I need one to rate how
difficult the program was for the learner, for example.

Elissa and several others commented about the challenge of meeting learners
expectancies. When I get comments and ratings that suggest there
incongruence in expectations, I tend to go back to the promotion, and the
advertising material. At a recent conference I lead one of my article
discussions. The host was to get the article and the instructions and study
questions out three weeks in advance to these people. Only the article and
an abbreviated set of instructions went out. Frankly, I was lucky to salvage
the session. I learned to control or direct as much as possible the
process of promotion to target it on a prepared audience.This may mean
preparing the advertising copy, preparing a set of instructions, taking on
critical roles in mentoring the host group's assigned people, etc. Sort of
like the message I heard at church: pray like it all depends on divine
intervention, and work like it depends entirely on yourself! And be prepared
for Murphy's law to operate.

The honest comments of a few learners have been very helpful to me in seeing
the potential of some of my lectures becoming workshops. I guess I was ready
to listen. I have been reading books on how to run those professional
seminars like those in the business world.From a learners perspective, If
you already know the information in the lecture, you do not need to lecture
or the workshop to learn it. You might find the lecture helpful to enthuse
yourself to perform better. But if you need to learn that material the 2
hour to 3 hour workshop with hands-on practice, case studies etc., seems
like a good thing.

Now switch over to the position of the presenter getting $x per hour to
lecture or teach in some way. Would it not be better to get paid $2.5x or
$3x for the same material in a better learning environment than just $x for
the 1 hour lecture? I hope I heard someone say Aha!

So I am going to create a revised 1 hour presentation and a 2.5 hour
workshop on these topics and market both. And thank you to those honest
replies in my program evaluation form for opening my eyes.

Do others use evaluation forms?

Ken

Kenneth G. Aitken
Prairie History Librarian