APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-02 > 1139335308

From: "Alvie L. Davidson CG" <>
Subject: NJ Vital Records Access Threatened
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:01:48 -0500

Good afternoon Joan,
I know these are only "feel good" and "warm and fuzzy" laws but the end
results can be disastrous to legal entities who must have legal proof of
death from the state of New Jersey.
If Mr & Mrs Jones from Trenton died and they owned property in Florida, we
would have no way to prove to the circuit court in our jurisdiction they
have died. This would prevent title transfer of real estate, processing of
the ancillary estate in Florida.
The courts usually will not accept anything other than a certified death
record and if the state of NJ puts a tight lid on accessing vital records I
know what a mess this could become.
I know NY has stiff laws concerning death records so here we go with NJ.
Where next?

Alvie L. Davidson CG

Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations
by the Board.

This thread: