APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-03 > 1141829438

From: Elizabeth Whitaker <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Doctor nickname
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:50:38 -0500

At 10:58 PM 3/6/2006, Kathy Rippel wrote:
>My uncle serves as another illustration. I have called him "Uncle Doc" my
>entire life. He is/was actually a veterinarian, first in private practice
>and later as a state veterinarian. Although some people in his community
>might use his initials (never his first name) or an even older nickname,
>most call him simply "Doc Gurss". Even my aunt called him "Doc".

A great-aunt was married to "Doc" Bruce, who was one of South Carolina's
first veterinarians.

Even though I knew about him, I was pleasantly surprised when I found one
of his ads when I was looking
through some newspaper microfilm while hunting some early 20th century
ancestors for a client.

Elizabeth Whitaker

This thread: