APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-03 > 1141847010

From: bob gillis <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Godfrey Library
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:43:30 -0500

bob gillis

Alvie L. Davidson CG wrote:

>It seems that some of these sources are becoming apparent "cash cows" to the
>genealogical suppliers so they are going to probably milk these sources for
>all there are worth.
>It is just like the SSDI and the SS-5 form. Several years ago I was able to
>get a SS-5 form copied for free and now it is $27.

The genealogical supplier for the SS-5 is the Social Security
Administration. When could you get a copy of an SS-5 copied for free?

I don't know what is involved in making copy of the SS-5 but if they are
not in a computer files, the $27 cost is not unreasonable. A person has
to go to a paper file, pull the SS-5, make a copy, type an envelope and
mail it and then return the SS-5and the request letter to the file..

bob gillis

This thread: