APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-04 > 1144015803

Subject: Re: [APG] Clerk's copy -- original vs. derivative
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:10:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2006 3:08:26 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:

The syllabus material for my upcoming NGS Chicago presentation, "What Kind
of Source is This?" carries a definition in its Glossary that addresses your
issue:

OFFICIAL RECORD COPY:
A clerk's official copy, usually entered into a register; it is treated as
an original when the original does not exist or cannot be accessed.

This definition conforms with Rule 1001 of the Federal Rules of Evidence,
which defines an "original" as a "writing or recording itself *or any
counterpart intended to have the same effect by a person executing or
issuing it*." [Emphasis is mine.]

Elizabeth, you not only answered my questioned, but provided something much
more important -- your source -- the Federal Rules of Evidence. The copy I'm
printing should provide dull, but enlightening bedtime reading. I'm surprised
that I was unaware of this publication. Thank you.

Rondina

This thread: