APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-07 > 1153936474

From: Laura DeGrazia <>
Subject: RE: [APG] a BCG ?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:54:34 -0400

Cindy wrote: -

>I guess my real question is. Should someone address their research focus
>like an inexperienced genealogist or should their research focus be
>addressed like the professional that they are. Someone who is deciphering
>and analyzing the document for every clue they can get?

BCG's specific requirements relating to document work (BCG-supplied and
Applicant-supplied) are explained on pages 4 and 5 of the Application Guide,
and BCG's website includes two examples in the Skillbuilding section.

For each document (the one provided by BCG and the one you select) you are
asked to state a hypothetical focus based on the information given in the
document. A focus statement is typically very brief. The Skillbuilding
section of BCG's website shows the following examples:

"I will assume that I am researching Herbert Pritchard."
"I will assume my focus is Herman Greve and his family."

The purpose of stating the Research Focus is to identify a focal point for
analysis of the document and development of the research plan. Your skills
as a professional genealogist will be demonstrated not so much in your
defining a research focus as in your accompanying document analysis and
research plan. In those sections you'll illustrate your ability to pick up
on the clues that beginners might overlook, and you'll identify the records
you would use to continue researching the hypothetical problem.

Does this answer your question?

Laura

Laura A. Murphy DeGrazia, CG(SM)
BCG Trustee
BCG Outreach Committee, Advertising Manager

Certified Genealogist and CG are proprietary service marks of the Board for
Certification of GenealogistsR used by the Board to identify its program of
genealogical competency and evaluation and used under license to the Board's
associates.