APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-07 > 1154031295

From: Connie Lenzen <>
Subject: RE: [APG] Genealogical credentials
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:15:19 -0700

This has been an excellent thread.

Yes, there are differences, and there are similarities between the
Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG) and the International
Commisssion for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists
(ICAPGen).

The similarities in a condensed version are:
Both are composed of genealogists who aspire to be the best they can be.
Both have a testing program.
Both have a renewal program.

It is more difficult to list the differences. When we do, there is a
tendency to condense those, too, and the details are lost. In some
cases, we loose the point and make mistakes in our generalizations.

To understand the differences between BCG and ICAPGen, a person
really should go on a personal fact-finding mission. Read the details
on the two organization's websites.

Talk to AGs and CGs. You have had an opportunity to "meet" some CGs
and AGs on the APG List.

Then, when you have set a goal for yourself, make a plan for meeting
it. That will mean a lot of education, etc. BCG has a self-test where
you can see if you are ready for certification at
http://www.bcgcertification.org/ruready.html.

Regards,
Connie Lenzen, CG
BCG President