APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-07 > 1154124950

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Changes at Ancestry
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:15:50 -0400

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:41:55 -0400, wrote:
> Ancestry.com and Ancestry Library Edition made some major
> format and content changes on July 27th. Two bothersome
> changes I see are that in both .com and Library Edition
> the search mode defaults to the "Ranked Search". I (and
> many of our library patrons) have found the "Ranked
> Search" to be very cumbersome and confusing, too much
> irelevant data. Ancestry still allows the ability to do
> an "Exact Search" but it's found in a small box that is
> hard to locate.

Actually, after using only the "Exact Search" for a long time I've
found myself using the "Ranked Search" much more often lately. But I
liked that it used to remember which you used the previous session.

> The other big problem I see with the
> .com version is the World Trees. They have thrown WFTs
> (which I have never understood) into the mix and have
> removed some of the user submitted trees. Of those that
> remain, there is no contact information.

The user trees are still available if you look at "Source Info" for
any "OneWorldTree" record, with source info. I note that they've added
some census data to the OneWorldTree in addition to the user trees.

You can also find the old user trees easily on RootsWeb - I like their

I especially like that the new interface has trees on a separate tab
from "Historical Records" like census, death indexes, etc. It really
annoyed me to see all those tree results intermixed with "real" data.
Seems to me, on balance, it's an improvement.

Terry Reigel

This thread: