APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-09 > 1159299531

From: "Kory L. Meyerink, MLS, AG, FUGA" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Working capital and making a living...or not
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:38:51 -0600

Heather, Ken, Chad, Gini, et. al.

This thread, under its various titles, may be the most important thread on
this list in over a year. It IS exactly what the P in APG is all about.
Excellent points have been made, and important questions raised. Natalie and
I have been having this discussion for years, and I am glad she migrated at
least a portion of it to the list.

Heather, welcome to the profession. I'm glad we have not dissuaded you. We
need more in the profession with your commitment to doing a fully
professional job, and understanding what the pitfalls may be, so you can
overcome them in your corner of this growing and, in my opinion, important
field of the profession (not trade, thank you Mary for posing the question).

It is precisely for the issues identified in the past few days on this list
that the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy decided to offer the course
"Operating a Successful Business." As one of the instructors, I wanted to
expand briefly on Gini's mention of it in her post.

The course was designed for current and future practitioners of all aspects
of professional genealogy (everyone under the APG umbrella). It is NOT
focused solely on client-based genealogical research. Rather, it seeks to
teach and apply good business practices to the unique aspects of work as a
professional genealogist.

Classes and roundtable discussions will explore a wide range of genealogical
business issues, including such topics as billable time management,
establishing rates, finding clients, support tasks, client relations, the
nature of self-employment, etc.

The eight instructors bring more than 180 years of experience as
professional genealogists, in a significant variety of settings. They
include frequent contributors to this list, specifically Elissa Powell,
Natalie Cottrill and Paula Stuart-Warren, among others.

January is a great time to come to Salt Lake City. The weather is milder
than you'd expect and the Family History Library is sparsely attended. But,
now is the time to seriously consider signing up, rather than waiting for
the rates to go up. This course is only offered every three or four years,
so don't wait. Besides, it's a legitimate business deduction! And, for those
who need them, you can get college and/or continuing education credits.

The link Gini gave is a good place to start: www.infouga.org/site/. If you
have specific questions, I invite you to contact me off list.

[And, thanks, Peggy, for your kind comments about my presentation on fees at
the recent PMC.]

Kory L. Meyerink, AG, FUGA

ProGenealogists, Inc.
PO Box 900188
Sandy, UT 84090-0188
(801) 596-3230
(801) 596-3380 Fax 24 hours
http://www.progenealogists.com

AG is a registered certification mark of the International Commission for
the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists.