APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1168717727

Subject: Re: [APG] Social Security Administration - Unknown Dead
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:48:47 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2007 2:28:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I was thinking of it as a sorting mechanism, not necessarily a source of
fraud. A fair number of unknown dead are old when they die. If someone dies
while getting benefits and the benefits keep coming and someone intercepts
the checks or manages the account, does the gravy train ever stop? Does the
SSA send out a "Happy 120th birthday" card?

Melinde

---
Obviously it would be fraud for someone else to sign and cash another
person's benefit check but it can and does sometimes happen. Another situation
where it can happen is in the case of a Rep. Payee who receives benefits for the
care of someone else who is incapable of handling their own checks. I've
seen children not report a parent's death and continue to cash the checks
coming for that parent's care--but eventually when it comes time to file a Rep.
Payee report they get caught--or when the IRS compares its records with the SSA
files. There is checking among the various federal agencies.

Joan

This thread: