APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1168817208

From: "Jean R. Legried" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Why we don't find everyone in the Social Security DeathIndex
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:26:48 -0600

At 03:40 PM 1/14/2007, wrote:

>In a message dated 1/14/2007 3:19:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>My mother was a school teacher. She died in 2005 and is not on the
>SSDI. She received SS benefits and Teachers Retirement checks. Her SS
># was "different" -- not numbers like others from our state. Can
>someone explain her situation to me, please.
>
>Jean-
>
>State and local government employees including public school
>teachers may or may not be covered under Social Security. If your
>mother's number is "different" it may be that it isn't an SS number
>but rather a state/local government pension account number. All SS
>numbers are a series of three digits followed by two digits and then
>followed by 4 digits. The first three are the area numbers which
>represent the state in which in the SS card was first issued. If
>your mom wasn't covered under SS it is possible she was receiving SS
>benefits on her husband's account and that is why the number looks
>different--it might not be hers. Also--in addition to the SS number
>000 00 0000 there is a claim number assigned when benefits are
>payable. The wage earner is assigned the letter A, the wife B, any
>children C, widow D, young widow with children E. There are also
>other designations for surviving divorced wife, etc. So perhaps
>instead of an SS number you were looking at a claim number? 000 00
>0000A for instance.
>
>Joan

Joan -------------

Mother had a Social Security number, not a pension account number. It
was *her* number, not Dad's. I have Dad's number and its first three
numbers are numbers that were issued in our state.

I don't entirely agree with your explanation of the A, B, C, etc.
added to the numbers. My SS # was the standard nine digit number and
nothing about it changed when I started drawing disability benefits
at age 41. Two years later, when I became eligible for Medicare, an A
was added to my number. I always figured that the added letter had
something to do with Medicare.

Jean R. Legried
<>