APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-02 > 1171861091

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Passive voice from a professional writing teacher
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:58:11 -0500

> There is a way around this problem in research reports (there is
> always a way around most things). Instead of writing "I found the
> marriage record of..." write instead "Research located the marriage
> record of..." No first person, no passive voice.

Oh, goodness, Donald. How about "Their marriage record was found . . . . . "

And to the person who said those of us over 50 were taught to write in the
passive tense. Heck, 50 years ago, I had already graduated from college and
been in graduate school for two years. And I don't recall ever being taught
to write in the passive voice. But then I was in journalism school
throughout college.

But, as Donald suggested, writing in the active voice doesn't mean you have
to use the first person. Just avoid the third person. If one can do that,
then one ...

Richard

This thread: