APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-03 > 1174583686

From: "Elizabeth Shown Mills" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Dr. George Phillips in Alabama
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:07:20 -0600

Alvie,

Thomas McAdory Owen, *History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama
Biography,* 4 vols. (1921; reprint, Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Co., 1978),
4:1357-58, has biographies of two individuals of this name:

PHILLIPS GEORGE, physician, member constitutional convention 1819, was born
May 1, 1769 in Delaware, and died September 15, 1835, at Selma; son of
George and Jane (Edgar) Phillips, the former a native of Ireland, who came
to America and settled in Delaware in 1768 bringing with him his wife and
one child. ... He was elected to the constitutional convention from Shelby
County in 1819, and later in the year, moved to Dallas County. At that time
he withdrew from the practice of medicine and devoted his entire time to
planting. ...was one of the incorporators of the University of Alabama and
was a trustee of the institution, 1821-1833...."

"PHILLIPS, GEORGE CRAWFORD, planter, was born May 15, 1815, in Georgia, and
died August 30, 1872, in Dallas County; son of George and Mary (Martin)
Phillips (q.v.); brother of William Sidney Phillips (q.v.). ... He studied
medicine under his father and was about to leave for a medical college, when
the death of his father occurred. He became administrator of his father's
estate and engaged in planting. He represented Dallas County in the State
legislature ... assisted in the organization of the Alabama and Tennessee
River railroad ..."

For George Jr., there is no mention of service on the UA board.

These biographies contain *much* more information. I would offer to scan the
pages and e-mail them to you offline, but my scanner and computer are having
a spat right now.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Tuscaloosa, Alabama