APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-04 > 1176417098

From: "Elizabeth Shown Mills" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Bureau of aircraft production service WWI
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:32:28 -0500

Kathleen wrote:
>Volume I has two certificates pasted into the front
matter. The first is a certificate that indicates
that the "War Board of the National Alumni Association
has investigated and established that "so-and so"
Inspector rendered patriotic serves... as inspector,
Bureau of Aircraft Production Service" ...
>My questions are, first, where can I find out more
about this Board of the National Alumni Association"
Second, where can I find out more about the Aircraft
Production Service"? <snip>

Kathleen, if you will go to NARA's website (specifically
http://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/018.html)
you will find the Bureau discussed in the online edition of
Robert B. Matchette et al., *Guide to Federal Records in the National
Archives of the United States,* 3 vols. (Washington, DC: National Archives
and Records Administration, 1995),

For the section, "Records of the Army Air Forces [AAF] (Record Group 18),
1903-64 (bulk 1917-47)," we find the following:

18.1 ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY

Established: In the War Department, to consist of the Air Force Combat
Command (AFCC) and the Air Corps, by revision of Army Regulation 95-5, June
20, 1941.

Predecessor Agencies:
In the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (OCSO), War Department:
Aeronautical Division (1907-14)
Aviation Section (1914-15)
Aeronautical Division (1915-17)
Air Division/Air Service Division (1917-18)
Division of Military Aeronautics (1918)
***Bureau of Aircraft Production (1918)***

In the War Department:
Division of Military Aeronautics (1918-19)
***Bureau of Aircraft Production (1918-19)***

Air Service (1919-26)
Air Corps (1926-41)
General Headquarters Air Force (GHQAF, 1935-41)
Air Force Combat Command (AFCC, 1941)

Functions: Provided advice and assistance to the Secretary of War and other
elements of the War Department on all aspects of land- based air offense and
defense. Coordinated the design, development, and procurement of aircraft
and equipment. Constructed and maintained air bases and air support
facilities. Provided training and administrative support to army air
personnel. Engaged in air intelligence activities.

Abolished: By Transfer Order 1, Office of the Secretary of Defense,
September 26, 1947, implementing reorganization provisions of the National
Security Act of 1947 (61 Stat. 495), July 26, 1947.

Successor Agencies: U.S. Air Force (USAF) under the newly created Department
of the Air Force, pursuant to provisions of the National Security Act of
1947 (61 Stat. 502), July 26, 1947.

Finding Aids: Kathleen E. Riley, comp., "Preliminary Inventory of the
Records of Headquarters Army Air Forces," NM 6 (1962); Maizie H. Johnson,
comp., "Preliminary Inventory of the Textual Records of the Army Air
Forces," NM 53 (1965); Maizie H. Johnson and Sarah Powell, comps.,
"Supplement to Preliminary Inventory No. NM-53, Textual Records of the Army
Air Forces," NM 90 (Oct. 1967).

Security-Classified Records: This record group may include material that is
security-classified.

Related Records:
Record copies of publications of the Army Air Forces in RG 287, Publications
of the U.S. Government. Records of the Office of the Secretary of the Air
Force, RG 340.
Records of Headquarters U.S. Air Force (Air Staff), RG 341.
Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations, RG 342.
Records of the U.S. Air Force Academy, RG 461.

Kathleen also asked:
>does anyone have a
clue about how I might be able to determine which of
the two so-and-so's of the same name" may have been
the original owners of this set of books?

Under ordinary circumstances, your process would be this:

1. Use the finding aids cited above (starting with the preliminary
inventories) to identify the series and subseries within RG 18 that pertain
to the Bureau and (more specifically and presumably) employees of the
Bureau.

2. Search those series at NARA or have someone do it for you, to locate any
information on the person who performed this service. Presumably, again,
those records would provide personal details that would help to settle the
identification question.

You might also explore NARA's website for possible material on this Bureau
amid its other online holdings. (I didn't take the time to do this.)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG

This thread: