APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-06 > 1182813984

From: "Elizabeth Shown Mills" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Why Genealogy is Bunk
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:27:39 -0500

Rebecca wrote:
>My opinion is that it's a trivial, pointless article that has no place in a
well respected historical publication such as Smithsonian. It pokes fun at
genealogy, yet states that "it's a $1 billion industry in this country, says
ESM...." It focuses largely on the rich & famous (Charlemagne, Hugh Hefner,
Winston Churchill, Obama), and often has a tongue-in-cheek "Andy Rooney"
attitude. I especially didn't care for his ending paragraph that he wants
his daughter to understand that "nothing in her genealogy defines her. Our
ancestors are dead, and they should let us rest in peace." It's unfortunate
that Smithsonian felt the need to print such a worthless article that is
truly "bunk"!

And ESM found it interesting that out of all her 30 years worth of writings
and interviews on the *value* of genealogy, the only thing he saw fit to
quote from her was one out-of-context statement made in response to an NPR
skeptic's question about the commercial status of genealogy. If ESM didn't
know better, she'd think dear Mr. Conniff combed the Internet quite
purposefully to find quips and anecdotes that could be used to support a
preconceived view.

I've been a genealogist too long. I'm actually expecting trained journalists
and history-focused magazines to present balanced accounts :).

ESM

This thread: