APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-07 > 1183430344

From: "Mary Louise Fitzpatrick" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Mass Media Articles
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 22:39:04 -0400

There was an individual named James O. Hall who died recently but in his
retirement years - as an amateur, a hobbyist -became a renowned expert on
Lincoln's assassination and in tracking down previously undiscovered
material. He was quoted in a 25 May 2007 article in the Wall Street Journal
(interestingly titled 'A History Hobby") as saying, "I had to teach myself
genealogy. Not because I liked genealogy, but because it's how you find
things that have been lost." He used genealogical research to find
descendants of those involved in the Lincoln assassination and then pleaded
with them to rummage through their attics - or as the article says - offered
to do it himself, looking for those unique finds. Just one way genealogy
and history intersect and complement each other.

Re: the Christian Science Monitor article and not to match one Bible verse
with another, but in Malachi, there is also the verse "And he shall turn the
heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their
fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse." Some very religious
people see that as a reason to do genealogy.

I wonder how the Smithsonian and Christian Science Monitor editorial boards
would respond to the comment "We know how the Civil War turned out; why
bother studying it!" or "I've encountered one historian who cut corners and
did lousy research so I'll assume all historians do."

What are these people thinking? Perhaps it's been a slow news month or there
is a dearth of good material out there!

Mary Louise Fitzpatrick