APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-08 > 1187644529

Subject: [APG] Census data
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:15:29 EDT

I have been researching a particular branch of my Hitchcock's in the NY
area. I find two Silas Hitchcock's on the 1820 US Census (Hicock in Fairfield,
Herkimer, NY_ and Hishrock in Litchfield, Herkimer, NY). They both have the
same information about the residents living in both places. Silas was a
Minister and moved around a lot. I am guessing they are the same family.

My question: According to The Source, in 1820 the census was started in
August, but they had 13 months to finish it. Ancestry.com doesn't have a date
(I couldn't find one anyway) on these 1820 censuses. How can I find out the
dates the census taker took the information in each place? Also, is the
information for the date he actually did get the information or for another "set
date".

Thank you.

Janet Buchanan
Phoenix, AZ

If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.

- George Bernard Shaw

Researching
Beckington/Buchanan/McDougall/Court/Hazelton/Pierce/Lane/Rhoades/Hitchcock/
Abbot/Ballard/Green/Graves/Chapman/Chandler/Tibbetts/Smith/Wells/Whittemore/Se
ars