APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-09 > 1189828548

From: Dee Dee King <>
Subject: Re: [APG] legal issue
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:55:48 -0700 (PDT)

One interestng point - the cease and desist notice does not mention the school correlation - there's assumption the letter is a reaction to her contacting the school, about whom?

The notice does not accuse her of doing any wrong - it just says the Uncle __considers__ reasearch and collection of data on him or the family to be an invasion of privacy and he wants her to stop. The Uncle can represent himself, not the whole family unless he has their POAs or some other legal authorization, and he cannot represent the feelings of their common dead relatives. Is a court going to enforce his feelings if she has broken no laws?

The niece contacting the school is not a violation of FERPA. What law makes it illegal to research her relatives? The posting about the niece's decision based on her personal code of ethics is dead-on. As a matter of courtesy, I wouldn't look into anything more on him. However, the niece cannot wipe out her personal knowledge, the recollections of other family members or family collections of baby books, scrapbooks, photo albums, letters, memorabilia, etc.

Is he going to send the Scrapbook Police to make sure his niece's family album does not have his birth announcement? [That was tongue in cheeck, for my serious friends. :-) ]

Dee

This thread: