APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-09 > 1190258725

From: "Loretta Evans, AG" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Accreditation
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:25:25 -0600

Dear Karen,

I can't speak for Certified Genealogists, but as an Accredited Genealogist,
I want you to know we would be delighted to have you join our ranks.

The process is rigorous, but it is designed to show the world that once you
have the letters AG (R) after your name, you really do know a lot about
family history research.

You were wise to get Karen Clifford's book and attend her lectures. The
more you can find out about the process, the better you will do. I would
encourage you to attend the ICAPGen Professionals Conference which will be
held this November 9 and 10 on the campus of Brigham Young University in
Provo, Utah. An entire track of classes deals with the process of becoming
accredited. More details are found on the ICAPGen website:
www.icapgen.org.

Because research is quite different in various parts of the world, the
accreditation program is designed to test your knowledge of one geographic
area. Right now tests are available for thirty three geographical and
subject areas. We have recently added tests for Mid-South African American,
Gulf-South African American, Mid-South American Indian, and Gulf-South
American Indian subject areas.

The process has three steps. First you will submit a research report,
showing what you have found on four generations. You do not need to
research all the ancestors of one person for four generations. You need to
submit four families that are lineally related -- the person, his parents,
one set of grandparents, and one set of great grandparents. The most recent
individual must have been born before 1900, and the majority of the people
in this study must have lived most of their lives in the geographical area
in which you want to specialize.

When your research report has been approved, you will be scheduled to take
an eight-hour competency-based examination. In the past, the test has
always been given at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
However, recently the Allen County Public Library in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and
the DAR Library in Washington, DC, have also been approved as testing sites.
The rates for testing off-site are different, and, as of yet, we have not
posted them at our website.

The test may seem scary, but if you know your material, you should be able
to pass. You will be asked to identify documents, read handwriting, use
computer databases, and show other general knowledge of research. On one
part of the test, you will be given a sample research problem. You will
have a limited amount of time to do research on the problem in the library
where you take the test, and then you will write a sample report on what you
have found and where you would suggest the client look for other material in
the future. If you take a test in an area where the native language is
other than English, part of the exam will test your knowledge of the
language as it applies to genealogical research.

Once the Accreditation Examination has been graded, those who pass will be
invited to take an oral exam. Several professional genealogists will ask
questions about areas that may seem weak as shown by the written exam.

Karen, don't be afraid. Jump right in. If you don't pass the first time,
at least you will know areas where you need to work. You can re-take the
test again. We would love to welcome you into the group of Accredited
Genealogist professionals.

Loretta Evans, AG (R)

The ICAPGen (SM) service mark, and the Accredited Genealogist (R) and AG (R)
certification marks, are the sole property of the International Commission
for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists. All Rights Reserved.