APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-10 > 1191903066

From: Kathy Rippel <>
Subject: Re: [APG] UNT Libraries receive grant from IMLS to study digitallibrary use by genealogists
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 23:11:06 -0500

This message concerning Texas resources prompted me to write and tap
the expertise from the Texas contigent on this list.

I have a patron looking for an 1895 Texas census (well, specifically,
she wants an index...) So far I have not been able to find any such
animal. The closest I've found were some isolated school censuses for
that year.

I will check some more resources at work tomorrow, but has anyone any
knowledge about this? She is specifically looking for Dallas County.
Either print or online ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Kathy

At 07:03 AM 10/8/2007, Debbie Parker Wayne wrote:

>This is forwarded with permission from a posting on the tex-dig mail list -
>a forum for discussion and sharing of ideas relating to the Texas Heritage
>Digitization Initiative.
>
>Several of our Texas universities have librarians who are working to get
>useful original documents digitized and online. The importance of some of
>the manuscript collections archived at universities cannot be overstated.
>
>One of those universities cares enough to study how genealogists use the
>internet for research! The University of North Texas study will involve
>focus groups as well as an online survey. UNT wants to spread the news so
>they can gather more input once they start the study. Keep an eye out for
>future announcements so you can shape the future of digitization projects
>useful to genealogists.
>
>The UNT Portal to Texas History project is at
> http://texashistory.unt.edu/
>
>The East Texas Research Center (ETRC) at Stephen F. Austin State University
>in Nacogdoches, Texas has also solicited genealogist's input for their
>Texas Tides Project located at
> http://tides.sfasu.edu/
>The ETRC home page is at
> http://www.sfasu.edu/libweb/etrc/
>
>There are other university projects in Texas but the two named above are
>very useful and their librarians are very friendly to genealogists. Please
>give them your support.
>
>--
>Regards, Debbie
>
>Debbie Parker Wayne
>Wayne Research http://etxquest.com/
>Webmaster, Lone Star Chapter APG http://lonestarapg.com/

Kathleen Reid Rippel, M.L.S.
Great Bend, KS

Member: Association of Professional Genealogists (APG), 2005-2007