APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1193988342

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Castle Garden immigration index sources
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 03:25:42 -0400

"Elissa Scalise Powell, CG" <>

> Therefore my conclusion is that the Balch Institute's _Germans to America_
> series was one of the bases for this website but with some loss of data.
> Also that it is always the best idea to go directly to the source and make
> your own handwriting interpretations and evaluations of the data.

A reminder of why Elissa's suggestion is especially important in this case:
_Germans to America_ books - at least the earlier volumes - were created for
a social study project and contain a major flaw insofar as genealogical
research is concerned. The ships chosen for inclusion were only those
subjectively deemed to have a majority of passengers who were Germans(based
largely on surnames if place of origin not given) and of those ships
included passengers deemed to not be German (again, largely based on surname
if place of origin not given) were sometimes not listed. IOW - not all ships
are included and of those ships included not all passengers were listed.

Richard P.
Fairfax, Virginia

This thread: