APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1194211212

From: "Kate Foote" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Abraham Lincoln in 1840
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 15:20:12 -0600

My own theory is that during the time of that census, June 1 – November 1,
1840, Mr. Lincoln was either residing in a boarding house that was not
properly enumerated; or he was out of town “riding the circuit” of the 8th
Illinois Circuit Court (while also taking any opportunity to make campaign
speeches.) Both are plausible.

I have been using http://www.thelinconlog.org website for quite some time
and it is a fascinating account of Lincoln's transition from frontier
shopkeeper, to politician, to attorney, (yes, he was a politician first),
and forward to higher office. The glimpses of cases he was involved in
begin to compose a picture of how he may have developed his thought
processes and ideology as he matured and advanced in the public sphere.

His association with Joshua Speed is the subject of a great deal of
conjecture among Lincoln historians. An interesting NPR interview on this
subject can be listened to at:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4495619 This is a
mildly contentious discussion by two Lincoln scholars concerning the
possible "intimate" nature of the friendship between Lincoln and Speed. Not
specifically genealogy directed. BTW: today, November 4th, marks the 165th
anniversary of the marriage of Abraham Lincoln to Mary Todd.

Other sites (among thousands) of value for researchers of Lincoln's life
include:

Lincoln's Law Practice: http://www.lawpracticeofabrahamlincoln.org

The Lincoln-Net: http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/aboutinfo.html

The Papers of Abraham Lincoln: http://papersofabrahamlincoln.org/

Any Google of Abe Lincoln will return millions of hits so one has to be
specific with keywords to even get close to what you're looking for.

If you have Tennessee, Kentucky, and/or Illinois ancestors the "Lincoln
Stories" are abundant and generally exaggerated, if true at all. There is
such a story in my family which, ironically, appears to have a basis in fact
- thus my interest in tracking Lincoln's travels, personal associations, and
correspondence. The pieces fit, but adequate documentation still eludes me!

Regards,
Kate

Of
> Katherine Flynn
> Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 9:18 AM
> To: Richard A. Pence;
> Subject: Re: [APG] Abraham Lincoln in 1840
>
> Dear All,
>
> The problem is that while, yes, this is the correct Speed - he is
enumerated alone.

> Separately to the original poster (Desta Elliott) - I sent the
following fabulous resource - a
> day-by-day timeline of Lincoln's whereabouts based on contemporary
documents. As you
> will see Lincoln was quite mobile in the time period of the enumeration
traveling the court
> circuit.
>
> http://www.thelincolnlog.org/view
>
> Particularly in the section for browsing:
> http://www.thelincolnlog.org/view/1840/6
>
> where one can go forwards and backwards by month.
>
> As far as we could tell he is not enumerated by name anywhere in
Illinois but still could

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=ILM704_69-
> 0005&fn=J+F&ln=Speed&st=r&ssrc=&pid=3098572
> > on ancestry.com.
> >
> > Do you think that could be Joshua?
>
> Very likely. I know from later correspondence of Lincoln that Joshua's
> middle initial was F. The age is right to be Joshua Speed and the name is
> found so infrequently that it surely must be the guy.
>
> If it is, you would expect to find another male in the household, probably
> in the age bracket of 31-40 as Lincoln would have been 31. BUT it appears
> from this record that Speed was living alone or at least he did not report
> Lincoln living with him.
>
> Richard P.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:42 PM