APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1194874788

From: Claire Bettag <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Punctuation, vertical lists
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:39:48 -0500

> Richard wrote:
> Question. Suppose I list the children each in his or her own
> paragraph, as
> in:
>
> The children of his first marriage were:
>
> i. Virginia, who married a wealthy industrialist.
>
> ii. Richard, who didn't amount to all that much.
>
> iii. Gloria, who disappeared at age 17.

If you use CMS (15th ed.), you'll find guidelines / rules. (If you use
other style manuals, guidelines may vary!)

CMS 6.127
VERTICAL LISTS: PUNCTUATION AND FORMAT. "A vertical list is best
introduced by a complete grammatical sentence, followed by a
colon.....Items carry no closing punctuation unless they consist of
complete sentences. If the items are numbered, a period follows the
numeral and each item begins with a capital letter." <snip>

CMS 6.128
VERTICAL LISTS IN PARAGRAPH STYLE [does not apply to your example]

CMS 6.129
VERTICAL LISTS PUNCTUATED AS A SENTENCE. "In a numbered vertical list
that completes a sentence begun in an introductory element and
consists of phrases or sentences with internal punctuation, semicolons
may be used between the items, and a period should follow the final
item. Each item begins with a lowercase letter....If bullets were used
instead of numbers...the punctuation and capitalization would remain
the same." <snip>
[The CMS example has no colon after the introductory element, which is
not a sentence.]

I believe most vertical lists would follow CMS 6.127. However, unless
I'm missing something (always a possibility!) your example could
follow 6.129, with the exception that your numbered items begin with
capital letters because they are names. Your example, following CMS
6.129, would read this way:

The children of his first marriage were
i. Virginia, who married a wealthy industrialist;
ii. Richard, who didn't amount to all that much;
iii. Gloria, who disappeared at age seventeen.

Claire

Claire Bettag
1685 34th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007