APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1194984158

From: "Drew Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Punctuation, vertical lists
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:02:38 -0500

Actually, I think the example is acceptable with the understanding
that "Highlights of the federal budget presented Thursday night:" is
an abbreviation for "The following are highlights of the federal
budget presented Thursday night:". This is different from an
incomplete sentence, such as "Highlights of the federal budget
presented Thursday night were".

And this is why it would be ok to say "Children:". This differs from
"The children were".

Drew Smith

On Nov 13, 2007 2:25 PM, Alison Hare <> wrote:
> My very old Canadian Press style guide (1983) would let Richard do this. It says, "Use a colon in lines introducing lists, texts and tables." One of its examples (slightly modified for the occasion) is this:
>
> OTTAWA (CP) -- Highlights of the federal budget presented Thursday night:
> --Tax breaks on iron skillets have been rescinded to combat an increase in domestic violence.
>
> However, if I understand this whole discussion properly, CMS would tsk, tsk CP's style because the introduction is not a complete grammatical sentence.

This thread: