APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195150491

From: "Melinde Sanborn" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Passport Applications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:14:51 -0500

Superb question. In Washington DC during the NIGR this summer I found two
photos on passport applications and attempted to print them from the
microfilm. With the assistance of staff, I used every lens they had, and
dark doesn't begin to describe the images we got.

I was referred to five photographers who have access to NARA in Maryland
where these records actually reside. That was in July. I discovered that
the only company that has the right size equipment (of the five referenced)
is called Photo Response. The original photos are less than 2 inches square.

I have placed my order with and you can check their
website for more information. Their prices are competitive, but it is mid
November and my 90+-year-old client isn't getting any younger. I plan to do
it myself in the beginning of December if the photos have not come by then.

Melinde

This is a followup to a query I posted to this list in August. I finally
have a copy of the passport application from 1923 for the person I was
looking for. There is a picture included but on the microfilm the photo is
very dark. Other photographs with other applications on the microfilm were
very clear. Does anyone know if I actually ordered the application if the
picture would be clear? Or would it be the same as on the microfilm? The
whole purpose of this research was to obtain a photograph of this person.
Thank you for your help.

Patrice Hartman
Regent, ND 58650-9730
Hartsearch Genealogy