APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195167274

From: Rebecca Christensen <>
Subject: Re: [APG] using "County"
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:54:34 -0800 (PST)

In the "new FamilySearch" that is currently rolling out according to the user's location in the world, locations appear in the database both with or without "County" or "Co." but the standardized formats do not include the word "County" or "Co." A person can include the word "County" in an event location for viewing if that is their preference and then select the appropriate standardized location for the place which is used by the program for placing the event on the map and searches. The standardized format for a county is [Name of County], [Name of State], United States for locations in the US.

In the new software update released today, a new feature for entering places uses a type-ahead feature. From the listing of the new features of today's release it states, "As you begin to type a date or place-name, the system will give you a list of similar dates or places. If the correct choice appears, click it." I was surprised by the number of "New York"s there are in the world.

Very few people at this time have access to the new program. As I understand it, the program version still hasn't reached 1.0. Hopefully, what I have written makes enough sense to realize that the format of the location doesn't "cause a problem" for LDS temple submissions.

Rebecca Christensen

"Helen S. Ullmann" <> wrote:
Personally I alway use "County" or "Co." in word processing, but not in
my database. I have the impression it causes a problem for LDS (Mormon)
submissions for temple work. Does anyone know whether that is still true?

Helen Ullmann

This thread: