APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195179233

From: "Myra Vanderpool Gormley" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Punctuation, vertical lists
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:13:53 -0800

Without any throwing barbs at publications or their readers because of
editorial style rules -- the serial comma is not used by newspapers except
when necessary as in what's known as the "toast, juice, and ham and eggs"
rule.

There are rules and there are rules and then there are *&^% rules. As
writers, we struggle to adhere to them as best we can. However, there are no
absolute rights or wrongs -- only the styles that a publication's current
editorial follows and hopefully, it has a good editor on the other end who
will fix our minor transgressions.

--Myra Vanderpool Gormley