APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195396063

From: Debbie Parker Wayne <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Lone Star Chapter APG
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:27:43 -0600

Elissa,

I reversed the order of your questions so the shorter response is near the
top of the message.

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG wrote on 11/17/2007 5:53 PM:

> Wouldn't it be wonderful if each chapter could post their happenings here on
> the *APG* list? <hint, hint> It would let everyone know the types of
> activities in which chapters can engage -- and if they bear repeating.

We've got a first draft of an article on the roadshow. If Matt doesn't
want it for the APGQ we can post it on the mail list. We learned a few
things that will make it easier next time we do an event.

Based on the reaction we got I highly recommend a roadshow to any chapter
with enough volunteers to make it work. You also need someone willing to do
a lot of pre-event scheduling and setup.

The goodwill created in the genealogical community is well worth the
efforts put into making the event successful. The response from the patrons
was overwhelming and gratifying to all of our Chapter members who participated.

> Thanks for the synopsis of your chapter event. I enjoyed reading about it
> very much. I was curious as to your attendance and how the Roadshow part
> went?

The Texas State Genealogical Society (TSGS) Annual Conference had over 210
pre-registered. We didn't get a count of walk-ins but there were several.

We started with Allison Ryall and Pamela Eagleson's planning documents from
the FGS 2006 Boston roadshow. We modified them to fit our needs for a
smaller event.

We helped 38 people in our consultations. That means about 18% of the
conference attendees participated in our roadshow. A couple of the
consultations were done at our vendor booth when the consultation room was
fully booked. We didn't turn anyone away without help. I think the
positive comments by our patrons might increase participation in future
events. We had a lot of patrons sign up right after registration on day
one. We had another surge after the first consultations. We assume that
might be from positive comments made by those who got the first consultations.

We didn't get any negative comments from the patrons except the one we all
expected, "we need more time."

TSGS helped with pre-event publicity allowing most of our patrons to arrive
with timelines and applications already completed. This was a big help and
allowed our pre-screeners to more easily assign the best consultant for the
problem. It also helped those doing the consultations to quickly focus on
the problem. We only had a couple of patrons who brought boxes full of
documents. Those were tougher to handle. <grin>

--
Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne
2007 Genealogy Roadshow Coordinator and