APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195430241

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:57:21 -0600

Hi Jeannette and all:

Dr. LaWanna Blount has been working incredibly hard to put together this BA
in Genealogical Studies, but she has been a bit stymied because of my
tardiness in contributing the materials they need. She could easily have
replied to all your questions that : "If CEB would get off her butt and do
the necessary things, we'd have more answers for all your questions." But,
graciously, she hasn't done so <g>.

I won't go into a lot of details, other than to say that (1) I attended the
Texas State Genealogical Society Conference in Tyler, Texas, which was an
amazingly great conference, including the Lone Star Chapter of APG's
Roadshow (consultations with patrons), in which I participated; (2) my
Houston condo unit was severely damaged by a burst hot water pipe and I went
directly there from Tyler and I've spent the last week on site, arguing with
the condo association over what needs to be done to restore things to their
previous state; and (3) additionally my "baby" (OK, I'll admit it--my baby
is 34) and was due to give birth to her third child, my eighth grandchild,
last week; she is now scheduled to be induced this Wednesday if nothing
happens before then. And, Thanksgiving is this week.

So I have been remiss in working with LaWanna to perfect the program. Please
remember that all this is in the PLANNING stage, albeit far along at this
point. Although LaWanna has moved it along tremendously, I have not yet done
my part in moving the program from planning to actuation. We're ready to
enroll students and get the show on the road, but perhaps everything that
will be available in the future is not yet finalized.

I have accepted the position of Program Director for the BA in Genealogical
Studies and will be doing the long-distance teaching of several courses for
the program. Additionally, as LaWanna stated, students can earn college
credits towards this BA in a number of other authorized ways, such as
attendance at Samford's IGHR, the NGS Home Study Course, and attaining their
CG, to name but a few.

As with all academic degrees, there are standards for "class" time and
outside work. To fit an example into the standard for credits in a college
degree, you can take a class at Samford's IGHR, but that is only 16-18 hours
in a classroom--NOT comparable to the accepted academic standard for class
credit. But if you write a paper after the class, showing your mastery of
the topics involved, THAT plus your class attendance would earn one credit,
based on the time and effort by the student in comparison to a typical
college course.. For my Course 3: Research in the South, at Samford's IGHR,
if you took the full 3-year cycle, covering research in the entire South,
plus wrote a paper for me, you could earn 3 credits with Akamai.

These standards are completely in line with the traditional college credits
one might earn from any college, community college, or university. And, if
you already have credits from another college or community college, those
credits can be transferred in to Akamai to count towards your BA in
genealogical studies, after your completion of the required credits in
genealogical studies, some of which you may already have in place and which
can be transferred to Akamai for credit also.

And, as most of you are aware, a BA, or Bachelor of Arts Degree is a 4-year
program of college courses. But an associate's degree (and they are
available in many varied fields) is generally a 2-year program, specializing
only in some area, without the background general education required for a
BA or BS. As with any BA program, one must take basic courses in general
topics like English and Math and History, etc. Many of you already have
these basics from your educational experience, or, if not, can fulfill these
requirements at your local college or community college.

I hesitate to be too simplistic, but for those who aren't quite sure what
goes into earning a BA, one normally takes two years of general coursework,
then two years of study in their major field of study. Anyone who has a BA
has spent the first two years of college taking lower-level, basic courses,
in US History, World History, math of some sort, and varied selections from
a range of electives, including psychology, sociology, anthropology, art,
photography, architecture, politics, science, and so forth. This is designed
to ensure a basic level of general knowledge of all who earn a degree from
the institution.

LaWanna has been quite open to suggestions about what particular activity,
such as earning your CG, would be "worth" as college credits. In fact,
DeeDee King and I spoke with her extensively about the amount of credits to
be awarded for earning one's CG, and after consulting with other individuals
of credibility in the genealogical community, she increased the credits
earned for attaining a CG.

So the Akamai program is up and running, but now fully actualized at this
point, as we all work out the details.

I would not be involved in this if I didn't think the genealogical community
NEEDS an academic degree of this type. Not everybody will need or want a
degree, but based on recent discussions on this board and others, many of
you DO want such a recognized degree. This opportunity has come along,
thanks to the hard work of LaWanna Blount and others at Akamai who see the
value in a program of this type (and are willing to put their money where
their mouth is!), and I'm anxious to immerse myself in the details of
getting things perfected and up and running.

Please be patient as the courses are posted and more information is
forthcoming. LaWanna has been indefatigable in finding qualified instructors
and teachers for needed courses, but all is still in the early stages;
naturally she cannot announce who she is negotiating with to develop classes
until things are in place.

For my part, I will definitely be offering two courses in genealogical
kinship theory. There will be a syllabus published online as soon as I can
manage it. These two courses are virtually identical to classes I teach at
the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, an upper-level, 4000-level,
course for history majors (3 college credits each). The final project for
this class is a publishable family history of approximately 24-40 pages,
evincing knowledge and competence in research, citation, compiling a
bibliography, adding context to your family history, analysis of data, and
much more. And, in fact, if you live near Little Rock, Arkansas, you can
come and take them in person, rather than online!

The second part of the genealogical kinship course will concentrate on the
community aspect of kinship. Students investigate the characteristics of
clusters of kin and how to study them. The final paper will be a 25-40 page
paper on some PLACE or GROUP, either a community, a migrating group, a town,
a cemetery, a church, or whatever your imagination and personal interests
dictate. This too will earn you three college credits.

I am also trying to develop a course in studying religious denominations as
a genealogical research tool, a class in understanding the place of race in
historical and genealogical study, as well as others.

There will also be basic courses in genealogy for those who are in the
beginning stages of their genealogical careers.

Since these are long-distance courses, enrollees will have a personal and
close relationship with their instructors. Each instructor may only be
teaching one to five students at a time--or so we forecast at this time.
Furthermore, students can concentrate on the geographical locations and
areas of research that are of the most interest to them, within the context
of the course. We think there will be a variety of courses to suit
everyone's needs and interests.

And, no, it's not particularly inexpensive; yet, compared to a more
traditional college education, it's comparable or less expensive. In some
areas of genealogy, one needs the credibility of some type of certification
or degree. If you are working for attorneys, or testifying in a court of
law, or working for a corporation, a tribal entity, or other clients of this
sort, it's invaluable to have the backing of an accredited degree to enhance
your credibility. And some of us just want to learn all we can to fully
utilize genealogical skills for our own purposes. I assure you, if you
complete Akamai's program, you will be well grounded and knowledgeable about
all the aspects of genealogy!

There are already a handful of people who are ready to sign up for this
program. I hope you'll keep an eye on what we're doing and consider this
program for yourself. We'll keep you posted as things develop and as the
website is refined and expanded to reflect the full range of Akamai courses
and benefits.

Regards, Carolyn
________________
Carolyn Earle Billingsley, Ph.D. (Rice University, in Southern History,
Colonial History, and Anthropological Kinship Theory); MA from Rice
University in Southern History; BA from UALR in History, with minors in
German and Arkansas History.
Author, _Communities of Kinship: Antebellum Families and the Settlement of
the Cotton Frontier_ (Univ.of Georgia Press, 2004)
Lone Star Chapter, APG
APG Board of Directors
Arkansas Genealogical Society Board Member and Editor, AGS Ezine
Samford University Course 3 Coordinator (2004- )
etc.