APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195434715

From: "Drew Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:11:55 -0500

On Nov 18, 2007 7:50 PM, Donald W. Moore, CG <> wrote:
> It is my impression that independent accreditation and certification
> bodies (i.e.: ICAPGEN, BCG) were established *because* there was no
> standard academic curriculum for genealogy. And there still is no
> standard curriculum. Until there is, and until accredited universities
> grant recognized degrees in genealogy, the question about the value of
> certification vs. academic education is moot.

Brigham Young University is an accredited university, so far as I can
tell, and it offers a BA degree in Family History within its History
department. As to whether or not such a degree is "recognized", I
suppose that would have to depend upon who recognizes it, and for what
purposes.

Drew Smith

This thread: