APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195436255

From: "LaWanna Blount, Ph.D." <>
Subject: Re: [APG] APG Digest, Vol 2, Issue 570
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:37:35 -0800 (PST)

Gordon,

Apparently you missed out on the Announcement I posted
on this list several weeks ago.

Here it is again . I pasted it in below with the hot
link.

As for certifications for academic credit: Equating
certifications for college credit is a very normal
proces. In fact, the
American Council on Education does this in a big way
and most of your technical trade certifications have
been equated for college credit as well as many other
certifications in computer work. However, the
Genealogy certifications have not been done by this
national organization. Many people want to transfer
certifications into college degrees. Training
certifications are considered technical and technical
skills are developed, in doing specific things in
speciific ways. The difference is that education
toward college degrees helps people develop their
conceptual skills.
LaWanna L. Blount, Ph.D.

ANNOUNCEMENT : Bachelor of Arts in Genealogical
Studies now ready for enrollments at Akamai
University,.

Dear Members of the Association of Professional
Genealogists.

On behalf of Akamai University I am pleased to present
Akamai University’s Bachelor of Arts in Genealogical
Studies.

The hot link to the program is below.
http://www.akamaiuniversity.us/BachelorofArtsinGenealogicalStudies.html

In honor of the work of the members of APG we are
offering $100 scholarships to those members who enroll
before June 8, 2008.

Akamai University is an online university situated in
Hilo , Hawaii. Teaching and learning is based on the
one-on-one mentorship model. This allows for courses
to be tailored to individual career interests and
personal needs.

Potential participants may wish to enroll in one
or two courses before enrolling as a degree
candidate. These courses are transferable to the
program. Akamai university works on a rolling
admissions plan, enrolling students at any time
during the year.
Should you have any questions after reviewing the
program on the web site please contact me at

Best Wishes,

LaWanna L. Blount, Ph.D.
Director of Center for Education and Literacy
Director for Continuing and Professional Education
Akamai University
www.akamaiuniversity.us

* * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * ** * * * * *
Accreditation Statement as Required by law
Akamai University is legally established by school
charter and is operating in good standing as a
degree-granting institution under the laws and
regulations of the United States of America and the
State of Hawaii. Akamai is not accredited by an
accrediting agency or association recognized by the
US Department of Education. The University is a
Uniquely established international NGO dedicated to
the
betterment of the human condition and sustainability
of the planet. Akamai operates as a nonprofit
tax-exempt institution of higher learning for the
purpose of providing advanced studies, research and
service worldwide.

--- wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai
> University
> (Donald W. Moore, CG)
> 2. Re: BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai
> University (Jack Butler)
> 3. Re: BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai
> University
> (Gordon S. Harmon)
> 4. Re: BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai
> University
> ()
> 5. Re: BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai
> University (Drew Smith)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:50:56 -0500
> From: "Donald W. Moore, CG"
> <>
> Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at
> Akamai University
> To: APG APG List <>
<>

> [...]
> > professionals normally do. What about all the
> CG's? Do they think
> > that they must get a degree now because the CG is
> no longer an
> > important demonstration of their genealogical
> abilities?
>

> We are begging the question. What came first, the CG
> or the degree? It
> is my impression that independent accreditation and
> certification
> bodies (i.e.: ICAPGEN, BCG) were established
> *because* there was no
> standard academic curriculum for genealogy. And
> there still is no
> standard curriculum. Until there is, and until
> accredited universities
> grant recognized degrees in genealogy, the question
> about the value of
> certification vs. academic education is moot.
> Besides, most
> individuals who hold medical degrees still seek
> board certification as
> an adjunct to their academic training and must still
> be licensed by
> state governments in order to practice--not that I
> am advocating the
> latter for genealogists. Academic training and
> accreditation/
> certification are two different things and serve two
> different
> purpose, do they not?
>
> _____________________
> Donald W. Moore, CG(sm)
> Antecedents(r) LLC
> http://www.antecedents.com
>
> Member, Association of Professional Genealogists
>
> Certified Genealogist and CG are service marks of
> the Board for
> Certification of Genealogists(r) and used here under
> license.
>
> Antecedents is a registered service mark of
> Antecedents LLC.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:01:44 -0500
> From: "Jack Butler" <>
> Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at
> Akamai University
> To: "Donald W. Moore, CG"
> <>,"APG APG List"
> <>
>
> The question as presented creates a false dilemma.
> The CG is certainly not
> devalued simply because some third party states a
> position on how they plan
> to react to the certification. If that was the
> case, there are some folks
> who have posted on this board who would have killed
> it long ago.
>
> As an analogy, consider that there are any number of
> diploma mills in the
> world. The fact that they issue MBAs in no way
> devalues the MBA issued by
> the more highly regarded academic institutions.
>
> This example, by the way, is in no way intended as
> any kind of commentary on
> any of the educational institutions mentioned in any
> post in this thread.
> For better or worse, it was just the best analogy

=== message truncated ===

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

This thread: