APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195589473

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:11:13 -0800 (PST)

Carolyn:

It is my understanding that the universities and colleges that allow students to CLEP out of classes do so with general education-type classes and not core classes of the major. The highschool AP classes are for math, english, and science that count towards general education requirements. I do think that giving credit for other programs' courses should be looked at closely especially when giving credit for the major courses of the degree. The genealogical courses, certifications, etc., that are accepted must be similar to what you (Akamai faculty) are requiring anyway as part of the major requirement goals.

I have never heard of "double dipping" and never did that for my double major. I guess it depends upon where you go to college whether that would be allowed. It would be very difficult to judge "life experience" for college credit. I've heard of this but have no concept of how that could really be evaluated. It is important to make the degree something that will be respected anywhere.

Jeanette