APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195608354

From: Dee Dee King <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:25:54 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <mailman.5107.1195605681.18604.apg@rootsweb.com>

Two things here are bothersome. Number one, private emails should not be re-posted on this public list. That is not ethical.

Secondly, Gordon S. Harmon should, in the fairness of full disclosure, make it clear that he is on the staff of Heritage Genealogical College, along with Jeanette Davis.

"Gordon S. Harmon, BS (Biology/Chemistry), MPH (Public Health), HGCC [Heritage College] (Genealogy Certificate) - specializing in early colonial and Midwestern United States and ancestral military research."

Ya'll constantly knockin' Akamai looks like sour grapes.

Akamai's Program Director is Carolyn Earle Billingsley,PhD, respected author, lecturer and experienced "real world researcher". Carolyn is working on her CG portfolio. Another PhD, a member of APG's Lone Star Chapter, has signed on to teach.

It has been repeatedly stated that Akamai is in the process of recruiting instructors who have both higher degrees and real world experience. Perhaps ya'll could back off the rock throwin' until they've at least had the opportunity to post the full list of courses and instructors?

Best regards,
Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist
President, Lone Star Chapter of APG

And in the interest of fair and full disclosure, about to enroll in Akamai, because I did investigate all the opportunities.

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:36:47 -0800 (PST)
From: "LaWanna Blount, Ph.D." <>

alumni commentary from the main page on our website
your question will be answered many times.There you
can read all the comments from our alumni from many
differenct Centers(schools) and levels. doctorate,
master's and bachelor's. This spring there was a
convocation in Colorado with the School (Center for
Transpersonal Psychology) and three graduates.
--- Jeanette Daniels <>
wrote:

> LaWanna:
> Perhaps my email below got forgotten when reading
> the others. I am still interested in knowing if you
> have any graduates of Akamai university yet,
> especially in the highest degree that is given.
> Thanks,
> Jeanette
> LaWanna:
> Thank you for explaining how to find the BA in
> Genealogical Studies page on the Akamai University
> site. I have a better idea now of what you are
> creating. If I have read correctly, "Akamai
> University is not accredited by an accrediting
> agency or association recognized by the US
> Department of Education." So, when you meet with
> the DETC accreditation review this Spring, are you
> trying to get the genealogical studies courses to go
> into previously submitted accreditation for the
> entire college or are you starting at the beginning?
> Do you have any graduates for any majors from your
> college yet?
> Sincerely,
> Jeanette

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:53:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
To: "Gordon S. Harmon" <>,
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Gordon:

I don't see any "threat" to HGC. The program at HGC is totally different and as you have observed created by people with real-life genealogical research experience. You will find that on the APG list there are different views as to what a good college-level program should have. Many want an only academic approach because they don't have a heavy research background. There are differing views about the academic approach as well. Before you joined the APG list, Sharon Sergeant did a "strawman" poll trying to get the different views of other genealogists as to what would make a good program. She also would like to create an academic degree with a university or college back East. She posted the results and then told what she thought was best. As I recall, her approach was a more reasonable and realistic academic approach. I think that she might really be able to get her ideas off the ground compared to the Akamai University BA degree in Genealogical
Studies. You may want to go back to around the end of 2006 to find those postings on the archived APG list.

Actually, I would be happy to see genealogy taught at the university and college level. Getting programs accredited will only advance the profession in the eyes of the public and give genealogical research the recognition it deserves.

>From the HGC website: The aim of education should teach us rather how to think, than what to think--rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with the thoughts of other men. -- James Beattie. Heritage Genealogical College has a unique curriculum with genealogical-research learning built into each course. The knowledge in these courses builds upon other courses, allowing students to master the understanding of research, formulate research hypotheses, and prove or disprove them as they progress through obtaining their certificate or degrees. Heritage Genealogical College Provides Career Training through Genealogy courses in: Genealogical and Historical Research, Writer of Historical Biographies and Historical Fiction, Land Title Searches and Legal Missing Heirs Research, and Medical Genetic Genealogical Research Coordination.

So, there is no comparison in the approach that HGC is taking with its genealogical curriculum versus those of a more academic approach.

Jeanette

----- Original Message ----
From: Gordon S. Harmon <>
To: Jeanette Daniels <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:04:42 PM
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University

Keep on pressing, Jeanette. Something does not appear to be right about what
has been written about Akamai. Its all academics written by academicians..is
the way I read it. I see that Jim Petty chimed in too but he is an exception
by having a degree in Gen/History. I dont know if you looked at their
faculty. I did. Mostly high powered academics which I think is needed for
their accreditation, but very little experience in genealogy from the list
of faculty/credentials. I would have expected to at least see an AG or CG or
something close to that. When I taught at the College of Medicine at the
Univ of Kentucky, 90% of the terminal degreed faculty had NEVER been out of
an ivory tower to say the least. No real life experience. All they knew was
a textbook.

Does Akamai in your opinion present a threat to HGC?

Gordon

From: "Jeanette Daniels" <>
To: <>; <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:32 PM
Subject: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University

> LaWanna:
> Perhaps my email below got forgotten when reading the others. I am still
> interested in knowing if you have any graduates of Akamai university yet,
> especially in the highest degree that is given.
> Thanks,
> Jeanette
> LaWanna:
> Thank you for explaining how to find the BA in Genealogical Studies page
> on the Akamai University site. I have a better idea now of what you are
> creating. If I have read correctly, "Akamai University is not accredited
> by an accrediting agency or association recognized by the US Department of
> Education." So, when you meet with the DETC accreditation review this
> Spring, are you trying to get the genealogical studies courses to go into
> previously submitted accreditation for the entire college or are you
> starting at the beginning? Do you have any graduates for any majors from
> your college yet?
> Sincerely,
> Jeanette

Message: 9
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:13:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
To: ,
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Ralph:

LaWanna Blount wrote that to me in a private email. I know that accreditation sites have their rules posted so I don't understand the statement.

Jeanette

----- Original Message ----
From: "" <>
To: ; ;
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:03:59 PM
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University

Wow,

Who wrote that "is legally not possible to discuss anything about
accreditation"?

What's this about? I need a citation here? What law?

Ralph Komives

In a message dated 11/20/07 5:19:05 PM, writes:

"It is legally not possible to discuss anything about
accreditation. We are not accredited as our statement
said. PLEASE , you are a professional so you should
know that and not query me about that."

Message: 10
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:34:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
To: "LaWanna Blount, Ph.D." <>,
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

LaWanna:

I don't understand what is a legality about asking if you have a graduate from your university yet. The other question was in regard to whether you were already in the accreditation process and if you were planning to slip the BA in Genealogical Studies through that. I have talked with the DETC people for a few years now and I know that they do not accredit new specialty degrees.

Jeanette

alumni commentary from the main page on our website
your question will be answered many times.There you
can read all the comments from our alumni from many
differenct Centers(schools) and levels. doctorate,
master's and bachelor's. This spring there was a
convocation in Colorado with the School (Center for
Transpersonal Psychology) and three graduates.
--- Jeanette Daniels <>
wrote:

Message: 11
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:40:29 -0600
From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
Message-ID: <00db01c82bd7$1e0a8cb0$>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
reply-type=original

----- Jeanette Daniels wrote: Many want an only academic approach because
they don't have a heavy research background.

Ok, are you just TRYING to get my goat? Perhaps you should look at my c.v.,
which is readily available online. Anyone with a
"heavy research background" (or even a light one) should be able to Google
"Carolyn Earle Billingsley," but just for your convenience, check out
www.cebillingsley.net and follow the links. I have as great or greater
research (and publishing)(and teaching/lecturing) background than just about
anybody you can name. Moreover, your statement implies academics don't have
"heavy research backgrounds" at all. I beg to differ.

Firthermore I teach an upper-level class to history majors at UALR and,
believe you me, they know how to do genealogy AND research AND cite when
they finish, in addition to knowing how to ground their work in historical
context . . . and that's just from one course over one semester. I think you
will find that, given the chance, those who earn a B.A. in Genealogical
Studies from the Akamai program will not lack for real world experience or
knowledge in 'real' genealogical skills.

Whatever the program in genealogical studies at Akamai turns out to be or
not be, it won't be because of the inadequate qualifications of its director
(me) or instructor of several courses (me). As a member of both the academic
and genealogical communities, I can assure you that the "more academic
approach" will only result in a rigorous grounding in the essentials of real
genealogical research, and certainly won't be flying off in some
high-falutin' direction that doesn't directly benefit the students in their
genealogical pursuits.

I have no doubt that HGC is a fine school. But the Akamai program can be
too, in its own way, if too many people don't start knocking it before they
even give it a chance.

Regards, Carolyn
PS: Yes, I'm cranky; it's been a hard last couple of weeks and, moreover,
I'm having a new granddaughter first thing in the morning.

From: "Jeanette Daniels" <>
To: "Gordon S. Harmon" <>; <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University

> Gordon:
> I don't see any "threat" to HGC. The program at HGC is totally different
> and as you have observed created by people with real-life genealogical
> research experience. You will find that on the APG list there are
> different views as to what a good college-level program should have. Many
> want an only academic approach because they don't have a heavy research
> background. There are differing views about the academic approach as
> well. Before you joined the APG list, Sharon Sergeant did a "strawman"
> poll trying to get the different views of other genealogists as to what
> would make a good program. She also would like to create an academic
> degree with a university or college back East. She posted the results and
> then told what she thought was best. As I recall, her approach was a more
> reasonable and realistic academic approach. I think that she might really
> be able to get her ideas off the ground compared to the Akamai University
> BA degree in Genealogical
> Studies. You may want to go back to around the end of 2006 to find those
> postings on the archived APG list.
> Actually, I would be happy to see genealogy taught at the university and
> college level. Getting programs accredited will only advance the
> profession in the eyes of the public and give genealogical research the
> recognition it deserves.
>>From the HGC website: The aim of education should teach us rather how to
>>think, than what to think--rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us
>>to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with the thoughts of other
>>men. -- James Beattie. Heritage Genealogical College has a unique
>>curriculum with genealogical-research learning built into each course.
>>The knowledge in these courses builds upon other courses, allowing
>>students to master the understanding of research, formulate research
>>hypotheses, and prove or disprove them as they progress through obtaining
>>their certificate or degrees. Heritage Genealogical College Provides
>>Career Training through Genealogy courses in: Genealogical and Historical
>>Research, Writer of Historical Biographies and Historical Fiction, Land
>>Title Searches and Legal Missing Heirs Research, and Medical Genetic
>>Genealogical Research Coordination.
> So, there is no comparison in the approach that HGC is taking with its
> genealogical curriculum versus those of a more academic approach.
> Jeanette
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: Gordon S. Harmon <>
> To: Jeanette Daniels <>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:04:42 PM
> Subject: Re: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
> Keep on pressing, Jeanette. Something does not appear to be right about
> what
> has been written about Akamai. Its all academics written by
> academicians..is
> the way I read it. I see that Jim Petty chimed in too but he is an
> exception
> by having a degree in Gen/History. I dont know if you looked at their
> faculty. I did. Mostly high powered academics which I think is needed for
> their accreditation, but very little experience in genealogy from the list
> of faculty/credentials. I would have expected to at least see an AG or CG
> or
> something close to that. When I taught at the College of Medicine at the
> Univ of Kentucky, 90% of the terminal degreed faculty had NEVER been out
> of
> an ivory tower to say the least. No real life experience. All they knew
> was
> a textbook.
> Does Akamai in your opinion present a threat to HGC?
> Gordon
> From: "Jeanette Daniels" <>
> To: <>; <>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:32 PM
> Subject: [APG] BA in Genealogical Studies at Akamai University
>> LaWanna:
>> Perhaps my email below got forgotten when reading the others. I am still
>> interested in knowing if you have any graduates of Akamai university yet,
>> especially in the highest degree that is given.
>> Thanks,
>> Jeanette
>> LaWanna:
>> Thank you for explaining how to find the BA in Genealogical Studies page
>> on the Akamai University site. I have a better idea now of what you are
>> creating. If I have read correctly, "Akamai University is not accredited
>> by an accrediting agency or association recognized by the US Department
>> of
>> Education." So, when you meet with the DETC accreditation review this
>> Spring, are you trying to get the genealogical studies courses to go into
>> previously submitted accreditation for the entire college or are you
>> starting at the beginning? Do you have any graduates for any majors from
>> your college yet?