APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-11 > 1195609826

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: [APG] ?Unethical?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:50:26 -0800 (PST)

Dear Kathy:

If the second researcher knew that the first researcher had been there and was trying to find out what the first one had done, I would consider that strange and depending upon what the reason was for that being done, possibly unethical. For example, was the second researcher trying to take a client away? It would really depend upon the motivation of the second reseacher. The main question for me is why would a second researcher ask the librarian or archivist, etc. for information about the work of another researcher. The librarian, clerk, archivist, might think that he was being helpful and could be. I had years ago, a librarian pass my letter asking for help along to someone who often did research there who was related to the same people that I was. I had a wonderful correspondence with that man for over 15 years and even went to visit him in Mississippi because we became such good research friends. This was because a librarian knew that we were
both related and shared my information with him. So, it really depends upon motivation.

Sincerely,

Jeanette

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs