APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-12 > 1196599897

From: Elisabeth Thorsell <>
Subject: Re: [APG] iti - Norway commercial
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:51:37 +0100

>Perhaps just based on the spelling of the surname. (?)
>
>I don't recall which was which (too tired from raking leaves before
>the snow comes to look <g>), but with Norway/Denmark/Sweden, there's a
>distinction. (DK used to be part of one of the other two, and uses the
>same distinction.) One place uses --- sen, the other -- son, for
>instance, Petersen, Peterson.
>
>Just a thought from someone else who doesn't have any known Scandinavian blood..
>
>Maureen J Mann
>New Jersey

Just a thought from the other side of the border:

Those guys in the commercial should be very happy to find out that they
really were Swedes, as our records are much better. For instance we have
the "husförhörslängder", which is a kind of continuous census, which
makes it so much easier to follow people when they moved. Swedes who
have emigrant ancestors are always amazed when they learn how difficult
it is to trace people in America.

Norway was a part of Denmark until 1814, then they were in union with us
until it was dissolved in 1905, without bloodshed, which is unusual for
that kind of situation, and mostly we are good friends, unless they
defeat us in soccer och crosscountry skiing.

And names ending in -son is Swedish, names ending in -sen are Danish or
Norwegian.

Welcome to Sweden - Europe's best kept secret!

---------
Elisabeth Thorsell
Swedish Genealogist & Writer
Editor of "Swedish American Genealogist"
Visit http://www.etgenealogy.se/sag.htm
Utgivare av nyhetsbrevet "Vi Släktforskare"
Besök http://www.etgenealogy.se

This thread: