APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-12 > 1197039080

From: P Kimmitt <>
Subject: [APG] Board, EC and Management Relationships
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:51:20 -0500

Donn Devine said, -- It is important that both board members and the
membership at large know where many of us stand--squarely against
censorship of responsible free expression in any APG venue. Censorship
and suppression of discussion are not proper exercises of Executive
Committee or Board of Directors responsibilities. --

I agree wholeheartedly. Melinde has valid concerns and this discussion
is absolutely necessary. My delay in responding has only been because
it seems so obvious! Short of hearing the facts, I hesitate to
comment, but yes, of course I'm fully against any form of censorship
in the APG or elsewhere.

What I really would like is to hear details, but I understand that may
not be possible. I''d approach it as a client project:
1) ascertain the facts by gathering information -- can't work with
hypotheticals;
2) analyze my findings;
3) explore the by-laws and regulations of APG to see what is missing;
and
4) write up my report with recommendations for future action.

My opinions are tempered by the knowedge that ECs sometimes have to
make impossible choices based on limitations imposed upon them by
outside factors, as someone already mentioned, such as legal or
financial. Despite, or perhaps because of that, we absolutely need to
make sure there is a process members can follow to rectify any
injustice.

I'm trying to get my BCG porfolio done, so can't participate, but am
very concerned that the APG address any suppression of opinion. There
is a fine line between allowing members to hear and discuss issues of
this nature and people pushing opinions that no one else agrees with.
The problem is that many people remain silent whether they agree or not.

My 2 cents.

Polly

Polly FitzGerald Kimmitt
Kimmitt Genealogical Research
Member, Association of Professional Genealogists
Specializing in Massachusetts
------
1 Kemble Drive
Shrewsbury, MA 01545-1690