APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-12 > 1197068127

Subject: Re: [APG] Elopement destinations
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:55:27 EST

North Carolinians seemed to high tail it south across the border into South
Carolina. In some spots there were all night "chapels" open - the flashing
billboard out front reads:

"Stop right here folks and get your marriage license and get hitched in a
hurry. We have a special on for tonight - license, the chapel and the Justice of
the Peace fee all for $$$???$$$."

Tongue in cheek, but I'm told there were really were some places along the
border of the 2 states that made a monetary killing off of hurry up marriages.

My friend in Annapolis, Maryland once told me that Elkton seem to be a
destination as well.
Ann Nicholson Flint
Professional Genealogist
Post Office Box 596