APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-12 > 1197070568

Subject: [APG] Elopement destinations in the 30"s
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:36:08 EST

During the Depression the state of Michigan made a law that only one of a
married couple could teach public school. My parents were single teachers. If
they married, one of them would lose his/her job. So, without telling anyone
but one of my grandmothers, they went over the state line to get married in
Indiana. After getting married, they went back to Michigan, lived separately,
continued to teach and live as single people until the law was overturned.

I don't know if Indiana became a frequent destination for these types of
"Michigan" marriages, but it was for at least one couple did in the 1930's.

Judy Jacobson

products.