APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1199668914

From: "Randy Seaver" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] genealogy definitions
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:21:54 -0800

I've stayed out of this discussion because it appears that I am none of the
things you have defined, except perhaps a genealogist.

IF I were a Certified Genealogist, I would be troubled to think that I was
just "above-average." Isn't there a better word to modify proficiency?
Aren't CGs "proficient" as judged by the Board? It's a pass-fail system,
right? What is the pass or fail rate for CG?

I move to strike the term "above-average" from the definitions. That
removes all doubt and raises the confidence level of someone looking to hire
a proficient researcher.

Also - you haven't mentioned that CGs have to be renewed every so often,
just like other professions. I think that is a real important issue,
especially for legal support work.

Just a plain old genealogist -- Randy Seaver (having fun blogging at
http://randysmusings.blogspot.com)