APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1199672412

From: "Lesli" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] genealogy definitions
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:20:12 -0600

I mainly read and learn a lot from this list, so it is of great interest
that these definitions are being discussed.

On the issue of using "above average", I must agree with Randy. It just
doesn't sound professional and leaves alot of uncertainty. I would suggest
the following:

"...Board-certified genealogists are those who have been authorized to use
these distinctive designations after successfully *completion of* a rigorous
examination that includes peer review of their written work. The credential
identifies the holder as one who has *demonstrated* proficiency in core
knowledge of source materials, record interpretation, research methodology,
evidence analysis, kinship determination, and genealogical writing. ..."

When I took my accounting accreditation exam, I was demonstrating that I had
the knowledge and ability to perform the necessary work. Isn't that what
lawyers and doctors are doing when they take their exams? They are
demonstrating to a board that they can meet the standards that have been set
for them.

In my opinion, I believe that it should be the same for a Certified
Genealogist. They have demonstrated to the board that they can meet the
standards. This does not say that someone else who has not taken the exam
is not proficient; it just says that they have not yet demonstrated that
proficiency to their peers.

Sincerely,
Lesli Rice Shaheen

This thread: