APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1199713507

From: Debbie Parker Wayne <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Definitions - Genetic Genealogy
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 07:45:07 -0600

Jack Butler wrote on 1/7/2008 7:14 AM:
> I am not sure that I see a value in creating a new definition to describe a
> genealogist who simply uses a new tool/record set such as DNA/Genetics. We
> do not, for example, call a genealogist who is using military records a
> Military Genealogist, etc., etc.

This is a valid argument that made me think for a while. Then I decided
there is no more difference in defining this term than in defining
genealogy librarian or house historian.

Each set of records requires some special knowledge to make full use of the
information contained in the record. But using DNA to its full capacity
requires more technical knowledge than most records used by genealogists.
Any good genealogist should be capable of learning to use DNA but I've met
quite a few who don't want to spend the time learning the details.

And it is a new term for which Joe Q. Public may need a definition.

--
Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne
Webmaster and Chapter Representative,