APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1199713533

From: "Melinde Sanborn" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Definitions - Genetic Genealogy
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:45:33 -0500

Dear Jack,

I think it is a question of quality and quantity. If there is enough data
for a speciality and enough demand for it, it is justified. At the risk of
appearing older than dirt, my example would be anthropologists, who very
slowly divided themselves up into four specialties: cultural, physical,
linguistic, and archaeological. Recently we see other specialties, such as
forensic anthropologists, some of whom are physical anthropologists who do
identifications for the use of lawyers in courts - regardless of the
lawyers' purposes.
On another point, while many legal considerations go into my forensic work,
I am not qualified to assert before a court who is a legal heir and who is
not. While I use a considerable array of techniques to find people and
determine their kinship, lawyers make it very clear that it is within their
purview to establish what laws pertain when and where. Therefore, there is a
difference between considering things and "doing" them. It's part of the job
to be aware, but the job does not authorize the opinion of a layman. Those
of us who are both genealogists and attorneys or judges or justices (we have
had a few), have much more latitude.

Melinde