APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1199729514

From: "Cheryl Rothwell" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] is stigma attached to "amateur"?
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:11:54 -0600

>From the bottom of the heap, I mention two things. First, there are a lot of
people out there with excellent skills who do it as an avocation and have
never taken money. Some genealogical societies have skilled genealogists who
volunteer for example. [Ok, some are not so skilled too.] I know some people
who have done some incredible lineage work who would say they "dabble."
Secondly, who is anyone to determine what "serious" means? Am I a "serious
genealogist"? It depends on who you compare me to.

To me, CG indicates they have proven they are skilled. After that
designations are only as good as the meaning the individual non genealogist
attaches to them.

This thread: